Introduction - The Beginning of the Journey


Aliner Expedition - folded down for travel mode

Aliner Expedition - folded up for camping mode


My Honda Pilot tows this trailer easily.

I bought this Aliner Expedition folding A-Frame trailer in mid-September from a couple I know through photography. I had seen photos from some of their photography adventures and noticed this Aliner as their travel vehicle. When they put it up for sale, I took a look and made the purchase! 

This has a "sofa" that can be converted to a queen-size bed, 4-seat dinette, 2-burner stove, 3-way refrigerator, sink, microwave oven, heat pump/cooler, outdoor shower, cassette toilet and water heater.. For full service, it has hook ups for shore power, city water and cable tv. 





I've made some enhancements to improve storage spaces, create new ones and add some features. (More about those projects later)

When folded down, the trailer pulls easily. The smaller box means less wind-resistance and a lower center of gravity than a standard trailer. It is also very easy to maneuver in small spaces. 

The camper sets up quickly. In less than a minute, the two roof panels can be raised, as well as the two side walls. Once locked in the open position, the inside area can be arranged as desired.

Traveling in an A-frame requires a minimalist approach. The more stuff I pack, the more stuff I'll have to shift around to get to the other stuff. Rather than thinking about what I can take, I need to think about what I can do without. 

In addition to limited space, I also have consider weight: trailer weight, tongue weight, cargo weight in my tow vehicle - these all add up to fuel efficiency, strain on the Honda Pilot and safety. 

With the restrictions related to COVID-19 pandemic, camping has seen a surge in popularity. Camping offers social-distancing, fresh air, opportunity for exercise and a respite from in-home lockdown. As a result, it is more difficult than ever to locate and reserve campground spaces. Most state and federal campgrounds are at full capacity, and private campgrounds and RV parks are charging premium prices. 

The other option is boondocking: camping on open space land, usually operated by the US Forest Service (USFS) or Bureau of Land Management (BLM). These spaces are also seeing significant impact from increased camping. Many areas are experiencing crowded conditions, excess trash and human waste strewn across the landscape and campers barging into protected land spaces and private property. 

In this blog, I'll share my experiences with road-tripping, trailer mods, camping and yes, boondocking. It promises to be an adventure! 

- + -




Comments